Monday, September 17, 2012

The Game.

I'm back! I had the summer off where I spend most of my summer nights looking at the polluted sky, while gathering my thoughts to write some fresh new posts. Check it:

I don't know how it is at other schools, but playing "the game" is pretty common around here. No, I'm not talking about literal games like freeze tag or Monopoly. (Side note: Who even plays Monopoly anymore? Raise your hand if you do...oh interesting, I counted zero. The day you decide to play Monopoly for fun is the day you decide you have nothing left to live for.) I'm talking about the type of game where a man (or woman) messes with a woman's (or man's) mind. Mind games, if you will. Those dirty little words. They sicken me.

Maybe it's because we date a whole lot more than other schools. Maybe we don't...I don't know. But it's like our drug over here in Rexburg. A person can't just walk over to another person and say, "Hey, I'm into you." It's become this non-spoken rule that you just can't do that--but how we wish we all could! It would make things a whole lot easier.

Since we live in this modern, technical world, texting is used quite often to "get to know each other."  It drives me nuts. I can't show the emotion I want through a text! It's quite literally hell trying to get a message to sound perfect. And my roommate, Melissa, is quick to inform me how bad at flirting I am over text. So I usually end up just sounding like some sarcastic fool. Which has yet to work for me. I'm sure almost everyone, whether they go to this school or not, can relate to this. Virtual communication is crap.

Life is hard for a 21 year-old, single woman at BYU-Idaho. One who has nothing to offer but sarcasm and a really delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe (It really is quite heavenly). It's rough to watch happy couples skip around while I sweat over the wording of a text that is already doomed to fail. So this is my plea, not just to BYU-Idahoans, but to all: Stop it. "It" being the game. It's getting old, but mostly just annoying. Say what you mean!


2 comments:

  1. hahaha oh hailey I'm peeing. And lets be real you know melis lis is right...some struggle. this is the greatest thing ever. you kill me. ps I happen to love a good game of monopoly and was incredibly offended by the derogatory things you said about it. side note: following this blog was the best decision I've ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course she's right! But I will say that I am top notch at flirting in person. So...that's something. I knew you would dig this post. I love you!

    ReplyDelete